Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Winston Churchill



When I began reading John Perry's short biography of Winston Churchill, I was sure that the book would largely center on Churchill's faith, since the book seems to be part of a series titled, "Christian Encounters."


However, instead of a book that centered on Churchill's faith, the book danced around issues of God and church. If you're looking for a quick read with insight into the people who shaped Churchill, this is an excellent source. But don't expect to find that Churchill spent his life dedicated to God, as his rousing speeches that called upon God's help might lead you to believe. Rather, he appears to have done a lot of talking about God, but not much living a life of service to God.


At the same time, he lived an amazing life, and, through a harrowing experience early in his life, believed that he was destined for greatness. And insisted upon living that way at all costs. Don't read this book expecting to hear about a great conversion experience, or about how his entire life seemed dedicated to God's purposes. Do read this if you're interested in learning about the realities of the intersection between faith, politics, and public perception.

Disclosure: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a postitive reivew. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions' 16 C.F.R. Pt. 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment