Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Poor Willow

“Willow’s gonna die!”

Said to certain friends of mine, with just the right inflection, those words contain the ability to induce immediate laughter and reminiscing in a few of my friends. And possibly a little bit of shame. Or a lot of shame.

Back in the day, when I was still in high school, my summer activities included a weekly viewing of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With church friends. It was awesome.

I believe that was also the summer somebody got a hold of a bedazzler. But that’s another story.

That’s right. I was one of THOSE PEOPLE. I pretended to be above it all, an ironic fan, but the reality was that I loved it. Every week, when poor Willow was about to be beaten, slayed, kidnapped, duped, or abused, it was inevitable that I or one of my comrades would be forced to utter, “Willow’s gonna die!” You’d think you’d become immune to the danger. I am here to tell you, you don’t.

I don’t know if it’s because the Disney Channel is celebrating Wiz-Tober and spooky things, or I just had a random thought that became an inclination, that became a determination, but this weekend I determined that I would rent Season 1 of Buffy. I mean, I could have netflixed it, but there’s no insta-gratification with that. So I went to the two movie rental joints in my small town of Suburbia, but it was a no-go. And then I was possessed with a thought. Wal-Mart might have it. I set a spending limit (and it was decently low). My hopes were almost dashed when I saw only Seasons 6 and 7. I didn’t want those seasons, I wanted the first one.

Alas! I finally came upon it, and it included a delightful surprise. It, and season 1 of Angel—that spinoff with the dreamy David Boreanaz—were a package deal. . . and still within my aforementioned spending limit!! Needless to say, being a lowly federal employee enjoying Columbus Day weekend, I watched all 12 episodes. That’s right. All 12. And even as I knew that Willow would live on to be Buffy’s friend another day, I couldn’t help the rising fear, the inevitable exclamation, “Willow’s gonna die!” I also couldn't stop the embarrassment that I still kind of love that show.

My father was pseudo-appalled that I got to enjoy the day off at the taxpayers’ expense. I threw his five (5!) weeks of vacation in his face. Then he threw his 21 years to earn them back in mine. So I called it a draw, and continued to lay on my couch and enjoy my purchase.

I probably should have been productive or something, but I wasn’t. Well, I take that back. I did manage to clean my apartment, which was a quite a feat. But other than that, I spent most of my time reminiscing and fearing for poor Willow’s life. If/when I’m not a federal employee anymore, I’m going to miss these moments.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I started laughing as soon as I saw the title of this post! We had some amazing times with Buffy. Thanks for reminding me! Hope you are well, friend.

    ReplyDelete