Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thoughts from a Windowless Room

These are the thoughts that distract me from my work as I toil away, a government worker in a windowless office:

I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter on its Grand Opening weekend. I got a free tiny plastic cup sample of Vitamin Water. And a skillet.

Barnes & Noble released its Nook e-reader this week. If it came in the same red the Sony e-reader came in, I’m not sure I’d be able to resist. It’s called a NOOK!! I do love a cleverly-named product.

I’m making a German Chocolate cake for this weekend. Never done that before. It’s for a friend’s Oktoberfest party this weekend. Never been to one of those before, either. Apparently, this Southern Baptists isn’t up on her drinking parties. Scratch that. Party got cancelled. I’ll have to save my drinking games for another time. Just kidding, Mom.

Did you know the only word in the English language that changes when you capitalize it? It’s Polish/polish. Thanks for teaching me that, B.

My cousin, a mere 23 days older than I am, was married three years ago today. I got to be her Maid of Honor. It was peak leaf weekend in Mars Hill, North Carolina.

Has anyone else read Graceling or Fire by Kristin Cashore? They’re good books. They really are. But her message of morality and the role of women can border on the shady. If you’ve read them, give me a call. We must discuss. Specifically, would you recommend them to young Christian girls (young adults being the target demographic), in light of a message that says that marriage is a restriction on complete fulfillment as a women. Have your cake, eat it, just don’t marry it?! Obviously not the best message. But would it be worth having a “youth” read it to compare worldviews and subtle, insidious messages? Hmm. It’s a conundrum, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment