And just like that, another child inherits a legacy of violence.
A little girl lost her daddy yesterday. He was working - proud of the new job he’d found after being laid off. Standing outside, doing his job. Someone drove by and shot him. Not for his money, not for a personal grudge against him. He was shot because he was a water inspector.
A wife was made single yesterday. Parents lost a son. Siblings lost an older brother. And it makes no sense.
Searches have been done and an arrest has taken place. But the grief is still palpable. This violence, this horrible tragedy will become a marker for them. There was before, and now there is after.
I only met him a couple of times, and my rage and grief are overwhelming. How does a child cope? Her future has forever been altered. Violence has undoubtedly destroyed her innocence.
I know the possible legal landscape awaiting this family if there is a drawn-out trial and sentencing phase. I know how long the appeals can take, that they may be faced with that for years. Aside from the grief of today, I think that’s what I hate the most for them.
I pray for them today. I pray that they make it through today. I pray that God gives them strength to walk through each of the next days. I pray for healing. I pray with tears that don't have words.
I pray for this family and ask you to do the same thing.
What, Then, Shall We Say?
9 months ago

My mom called me to tell me that horribly tragic news of this family. I was overwhelmed with sadness for his wife getting that phone call or visit with what was the most horrific and certainly unexpected news of her life about her husband who had just gone to work to do his completely non-dangerous job. What a horrible shock for the whole family.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you're mom is being a huge blessing to this family right now.