Sunday, May 10, 2009

What a Day

This day holds a lot of meaning for me this year. A year ago, today was all about me. It was a Saturday. It was the end of my ridiculously long journey to finishing school. And I loved that day. I loved it for what it meant, but mostly I loved it for who I got to spend it with. I was surrounded by my family and many of my closest friends. I even got to sit with my closest law school friend at our graduation. This is us right before the big event:

What a cool day.

I got to spend the next day with my family, too. And that was Mom's Day. This is us.


Since that time, so much has happened that I cannot even begin to put into words. My entire world has shifted, changed, and perhaps righted itself. But today was sort of like coming full circle, but with more fun. I got to go to Six Flags with the same friend who talked, laughed, cried, prayed, and lived law school with me. We got to celebrate her birthday with her husband and just hang out and have so much fun. It was a beautiful day. And it reminded me of a lot of things, but here's one of those things. Things change, and people change. And we may not get to spend Mother's Day with our mothers, or our birthday with all of our family and friends, but we can find God's mercies in these situations nonetheless. I'm not sure how my day would have been if I hadn't had a friend in town. I'm thankful I didn't have to find out - that I got to see her and walk through life just a little bit further with her. Today I am thankful. I am thankful for the things in my past that got me here. I am thankful for my amazing family, and especially my mother, who is a phone call away and always willing to listen to my funny stories and my neuroses. I am thankful for the friends I have collected along the path of my life and how we get to keep crossing paths. I have so much. May I give just as much as I have been blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment