Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Rerun

So, sometimes I'm not the brightest person in the world. This was one of those times: I call it "Two Left Feet."

Seriously? I knew that my mind was completely gone when I looked down to discover, to my dismay, that I truly had two left feet. Well, shoes anyway. It was all I could do to drag myself to work out, anyway. In my defense, the shoes were both trimmed in pink. By the way, I really like tennis shoes trimmed in pink. I think it's a great way to remind myself that I'm a girl even if I'm wearing athletic shoes. And I am NOT athletic.

Back to the point. So I looked down and knew that I had a decision to make. At the time, the weight of the decision almost made me collapse. Perhaps that was just my pounding headache. At any rate, there was a decision. Do I give up and just go home, hiding from the world my idiocy? However, if I left, I would be forced to explain why. I'm not so great at explaining or pointing out my own mistakes.

So, there was a decision. Ooo! I could just not wear shoes while I worked out. No, then people would ask why. I could just go home. Ah, the appeal of just going home. So tempting. But I was already there and would have to explain my hasty decision. Dang it. It was at that moment, as those thoughts raced through my mind in 3 seconds, that I realized the truth of the matter. I, Kara Michelle Davis, was going to have to work out with two left tennis shoes.

I told myself, "Maybe no one will notice." I'll just move my right foot a little bit so that the shoe's not so obviously left-leaning. I have, after all, put my reputation on being distinctly right-leaning. Then I might fall off the board. Oh, well, I'll just hope no one notices. Thankfully, Gaynor is busy with new people for my first time around the circuit. But then she gets back in the middle right as I'm on a machine where my feet are up in the air. Oh, the tragedy. Wait! She didn't catch it that time. Now just two more times around the circuit to keep her from noticing. Every time she looked at me or talked to me, I know I had this absolutely guilty look on my face. I couldn't help it.

I became enthralled with my feet. As I made it around the circuit for a longer and longer period of time with no one noticing, I became rather emboldened. I mean, how can these people not realize that I am wearing TWO LEFT SHOES!! Nobody else was – I checked. Finally, I made it around my three times, and stretched. Again, I was tempted to remove the shoes at that moment, but I figured that I had gone that long avoiding discovery – I'll try to keep this up. So, I left the shoes on until I got into my apartment. How nice not to have my right foot being tempted to conform in the wrong shape.

I've never appreciated the differences between left and right shoes before, but make no mistake, that distinction will remain unappreciated no more!!! Perhaps, there is a lesson to be learned in all of this – nobody cares how I look as much as I do. That's actually kind of nice to learn, because sometimes I really wonder about my outfits. Anyway, the moral of the story is: when packing your clothes in the morning for a late afternoon workout, turn the light on so that the distinctions in tennis shoes with pink trim will be more readily apparent, thus avoiding the problem of the two left feet.

Now I like to refer to this event casually as "the time I wore two left shoes." However, I have to explain myself when I say it. I guess that's the price I pay for oversharing.

You're welcome, Marcus.

1 comment: