Monday, March 16, 2009

Of Kings and Men

I can't help myself. I love snazzy titles. Sadly, this post will not be as snazzy. However, I have two things I felt like writing about. First of all, how many people saw the premiere of Kings last night? I got SO excited when I realized that it was loosely based on the story of David. I realize that it's going to be modernized and fictionalized and probably sanitized a little; however, I sort of feel like any mainstream forum that would get people to look just a little closer at Biblical stories has my vote. I mean, if it gets people looking closer and learning more, maybe it will be a way for God to draw people closer to Him. Which is kind of exciting. I realize I may putting too much on this show. I'm okay with that.

SECOND - although I took piano lessons from first grade until I graduated high school, and most of the lessons were classical music, I can't say I'm a classical music afficionado. In fact, I'm not. However, my last year of piano lessons was spent in an attempt to come close to mastering Franz Liszt's Un Sospiro. It's, like, 12 pages long. With tiny notes. Sadly, it is one of my regrets that I never actually learned the whole thing. I did learn about the first two minutes of it, and have provided it for your viewing pleasure below as well. The thing is, it showed up on the tv show Kings! David sits down to play it on a piano from the same year as the song was written. Never before (except maybe for Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and maybe Vivaldi's Four Seasons) have I been able to name a classical song before someone told me what it was. Sitting in my apartment, all alone, I yelled out, "That's Liszt's Un Sospiro!" So exciting. It's like a piece of my past, a piece of me, was part of the show. Of course, I never did it justice, but I loved it just the same. So here it is for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment