Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kings and Fear

I was sort of talking with a friend today about fear. In a roundabout way (mostly other stuff, but fear was a theme). For instance, here’s a fear of mine: Weekly, if not daily, I am forced to stare down something that scares the living daylights out of me. What is it? (you ask with trepidation; you’re sure that I’m very brave – I’m not). This thing that I fear is a blank page. It’s a little funny because I essentially write for a living. But every time I come face to face with all that white space on a page (stupid WordPerfect mocking me every step of the way), I feel that familiar surge of panic. I fear that I might not have any words.


I also have “irrational” fears. While I'm not afraid of birds, my latest fear is that I’m only funny when my principle place of residence is Oklahoma (seriously, I wasn’t that funny before law school). I’m actually beginning to think that fear is coming true, but I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best on that one. Otherwise, this blog will get depressing. And nobody likes a Debbie Downer. . . I digress (again).

Keeping in mind that I will eventually get back to the issue of fear, let’s start out with some fun news! I found out today that at least 6 people have looked at my blog! That excites me. AND, here’s the best part. My blog on the tv series Kings inspired this super-cool friend of mine to check it out. He checked it out, and is now shouting from the rooftops that everyone should watch it. I tend to agree with him. And I also find this very exciting.

But my super-cool friend didn’t just stop at talking about a really cool new tv show. He went to work and was talking to a coworker about the show, and they started talking about how it’s based on the Biblical story of David. And talking about a tv show let him talk about the Bible and God with his coworker.

I’m often timid and fearful (see, here it is – full circle) when it comes to talking about God, particularly at work. But because my friend had been dealing with God recently, he was able to overcome his fear, look his coworker in the eye, and say that, while he didn’t have all the answers, God had spoken to him. And suddenly God became more real to this coworker. What if my super-cool friend had been too scared, too timid, too self-conscious?

Suddenly, it’s not about me and my fear anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Um, was that bird comment a dig at me? Haha. Don't we all just need a little perspective about our fears. Thanks for the reminder that it's not about my little insecurities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer "Negative Nella" over "Debbie Downer". A little more personal to me! And I have to say, you are funny in St. Louis too. I visited you there and we laughed like crazy if I do recall. I sometimes have a hard time confronting my non-christian friends with God. But, I find that the way I live makes it easier for me to bring it up when they start asking "Why me?" I also pray for an opening, or for God to put someone else in their path. I have seen it happen recently when I friend called to tell me that her trash man told her that there was a plan for her. She told me that she thinks God talked to her through the trash man and knew that she could talk to me about it. That trash man gave me my opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about not being funny anywhere outside of Oklahoma. You weren't funny in Oklahoma and you managed quite nicely. :)

    In all seriousness, I am excited about your blog. I have to say, I wasn't a big fan of Kings when I watched it last week. I may give it another try. See! You are making a difference!

    ReplyDelete