Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dotting Your I's and Crossing Your T's

I just notice that I have a tendency to start each blog with a “So. . . ,” as though I’m starting mid-sentence or mid-conversation. I know it’s a bad writing habit. I don’t care.

So, for today’s topic: Graphology. I’m too lazy to pull up dictionary.com and find an actual definition, so I’m going to provide my own definition. Graphology is the study of handwriting. I don’t know anything about graphology. But Marcus does. And Marcus knows graphology. Now, he’ll tell you that he’s just learning, but it’s hard for Marcus to dabble (and he's really smart). I don’t know how he got interested in the subject, but I will tell you that once he did, he bought every book he could get his hands on. And read them all. And then talked to other people who know more than he does and learned even more. And then he solicited requests for handwriting samples, and offered to analyze them. At least, I required him to analyze mine when I sent him a sample. Word to the wise: don’t give him a sample over dinner. It’ll just distract him.

See, he asked for a handwritten (okay, so I know that part’s obvious) letter (like they used to make you write in 3rd grade), on unlined paper (apparently, even the slant of the lines is telling). So I wrote him a 3-page letter on unlined paper. You should, too (it doesn’t have to be 3 pages). His address is:

Marcus Coker
c/o Momentum Dance Concepts
615A Main St., Ste. 4
Van Buren, AR 72956

He’s gotten letters from all over and is very excited about it. Now, I’ve known Marcus for approximately 18 years, so I did have an out. See, if he got it right, I could say that he’s known me so long he could just talk about some of my characteristics, and if he got it wrong I could just say that he’s no expert. See how that worked for me? But honestly, if he were just talking about me, he’d start out with saying that I’m a fun person (we’re fun people). But he didn’t start there. And his analysis quickly found some of my core attributes. In its entirety, here is his analysis [with, perhaps, a little commentary]:

So pretty much you’re a nice person, friendly and warm. It would appear that you fill up a lot of your time with activity of one sort or another. Maybe you should slow down and relax a little [whatever]. There’s a pretty strong trend toward secrecy [and Dad thinks I have to tell everything I know!]…with yourself and with others. Also, a slight tendency to keep emotional things to yourself. (are you left handed? [I AM!!!] It doesn’t make much difference, but it does make some.) if you are, we’ll just say that you’re pretty controlled and don’t get too carried away by emotions [except for those dang Hallmark commercials]…that you tend to be more rational. Something we share…stubbornness [Who, me?]. At times protective, especially about family matters (not the type to air out dirty laundry or that sort). Opinionated [Just because I’m right. . .]. You were right about your t-bars [how I cross my T’s]. With authority. Most of the time. Which means you have a more than healthy work drive. And you can be tenacious.

There may be more (I like to think I’m a person of great depth), but that’s all I got. I have a love/hate relationship with this analysis. It picks up a lot about me – and not necessarily the things that I want people to know. I definitely keep emotional things to myself (often until I burst), and I have at times been known to be stubborn (I recall my brother saying something about me and a fencepost).

What I love about graphology (and similar fields – like face studying on the show Lie to Me!) is that it reminds me that I can’t hide who I am. I am this flawed, growing, learning person that God made. And there’s no hiding that. There’s no pretending. And few of the characteristics listed above are definitively good or bad. It’s how I use them that decides whether they’re good or bad. But, there is inherent value in knowing/recognizing these facets of our character. After all, if I’m aware of my stubbornness, I can remind myself to take a step back and ask whether I should be digging in my heels or letting it go (do I always have to be right?). Because some things are worth digging in my heels for. And some things aren’t.

So what would your handwriting reveal about you? And how do those characteristics combine to create beautiful, unique you?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Marcus...he has his hand in a little bit of everything....ha (hand- get it) Anyway I will have to send him a letter. That would be neat. Does it have to be 3 pages???? Don't know if I can think up of 3 pages worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trey!!
    You're hilarious.
    You should totally write him. And, I forgot to say you should include one lie. Apparently, deception shows up in writing. How cool is that?!
    Don't worry - it's doesn't have to be three pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, you are a fun person! Marcus
    Trey, write me a letter. One page will do.

    ReplyDelete